If you enjoy this site, please visit these sponsors:


Saturday, June 16, 2007

Changing Baggie Method

I'm not having terrific success with the coffee filter baggie method, so I'm switching to the soil baggie method. I split my seeds out into two sealed plastic bags with a few tablespoons of seed starting soil (peat moss mixture) in each. I moistened the soil by spraying spring water on it, and put the baggies on a shelf. With any luck, the seeds will start germinating in the bags. When they do, I'll wait until they're showing off their cotyledons, then move them into their own cel-packs.

At first, I thought that my low germination rate was due to my seeds needing help breaking out of dormancy, but then I read that dawn redwoods don't need to be cold stratified. So, I'm hoping for better success with the soil baggies.

No comments: